Friday, June 10, 2011

First Entry 6/10/2011

I'm finishing my 3rd week with my internship at Arizona Game and Fish. My post is up here in Kingman, Arizona. Just a couple of hours from Las Vegas, and 45 minutes from the West Rim of the Grand Canyon--no I haven't gone to either. My positions is a Geographic Information System Tech.

So far my duties are:
1) The Big Horn Sheep habitat evaluation for the Game and Fish Region 3
2) Derive Polyline geometry from Pronghorn Antelope GPS waypoints
3) Perform transects in the Espee Ranch grasslands (need to determine what type of Biome this is) while counting active and inactive Prairie Dog Burrows.
4) Produce a couple of maps for recreation OHV use and Pinyon Juniper Tree management.

I surprised my supervisor by producing a GIS layer of all the land that has slopes that are greater than 60% in just a few hours--my schooling is finally paying off!

Though I am struggling at writing some Python programming scripts that derive the Polyline geometry. Most programmers know the feeling-- I feel like I'm on the cusp of getting it!

No comments:

Post a Comment